You are probably aware of the issue here. Palm oil (labelled ‘vegetable oil’ so you don’t know!) It comes from cheap plantations, made by tearing down the homes of orangutans, which are near extinction. Many fight to the death, and some have been burned alive. There is no such thing as ‘sustainable palm oil’, the Round Table on Sustainable Palm Oil is just a self-policed organisation that Greenpeace has found to be ineffective. You don’t need palm oil anyway, if you don’t eat junk food. Here are some palm oil alternatives:
- Vegan Cultured Butter (Full of Plants)
- Miyoko’s Cultured Vegan Butter or Fora (US)
- Naturli or Mouse’s Favourite or Nutcrafter Bettah than Buttah!
- Funky Fields (AU) or Savour Artisan Vegan Butter (New Zealand)
- For health diets, you can try a recipe for No-oil vegan butter
- Mr Hugh’s vanilla infused rapeseed oil (for baking)
- Pip & Nut makes good palm oil free nut butters
- Seggiano makes palm oil free groceries
Palm oil is often also found in cheap pet food and soap. Most bars of soap contain sodium tallowate (beef fat) or sodium palmate (palm oil). There are many locally-made bars of plant-based palm-oil free soap. Friendly Soap is a good brand.